If you’re looking for the best alternatives to Vultr, DigitalOcean tops the list. DigitalOcean has established itself as a top player in cloud computing, with leading hardware from Intel and multiple data centers worldwide.
It’s a good choice for businesses or developers who need reliable cloud hosting services because it has affordable pricing options, is easy to scale, has strong security measures, and has great customer support. But what else is there? Read on to find out more about the top Vultr alternatives.
Here Are the Top 5 Vultr Alternative Hosting
Why Look for a Vultr Alternative?
- One of the major disadvantages of using Vultr as a web hosting solution is its limited scalability. With Vultr, customers cannot easily scale their server resources to meet their website’s increasing load or demands. This can cause slow response and even more performance issues during peak times.
- You will have access to limited hosting plans to choose from when using Vultr. This could be a major issue if you need more specialized hosting plans to meet your specific requirements.
- The customer support offered by Vultr is not up to par with other web hosting providers. No live chat or phone support, making it difficult for customers to get immediate help.
- Some of the newest features, like one-click staging, vertical scaling, white labeling services, and support for database services, are not available on Vultr.
What to Look for in the Vultr Alternative
When searching for a substitute for Vultr, these are the key characteristics to take into account:
|Free Domain||Most hosting plans come with a free domain name, so it’s a good choice for new web developers who don’t want to buy a separate domain name.|
|SSL Certification||An SSL certificate is important for protecting sensitive information on a website and ensuring customer data remains secure while navigating the site.|
|Security||It is essential to choose a Vultr alternative that offers strong security features like firewalls, DDoS protection, and malware scanning to protect your website from breaches.|
|Speed||Website speed is crucial for its success, slow loading times can cause visitors to leave. Therefore, when selecting a hosting service, consider their speed.|
|Ease of Use/Quality of the cPanel||A good option should have a cPanel that is easy to use and responsive. It should also be easy for both new web developers and experienced users to find their way around and use.|
|Customer Service||Give priority to customer service and seek hosting services with round-the-clock support and knowledgeable employees for quick problem solving|
The Best Vultr Alternative Hosting Services of 2023 (Bought and Tested)
DigitalOcean is the ideal choice for flexible hosting options. With its wide range of plans, you can choose the perfect hosting solution for your website. DigitalOcean provides powerful and low-cost computing options combined with fast and flexible computing capabilities. It is also easy to use and gives developers a cloud platform for deploying and integrating any type of managed service.
DigitalOcean is also dedicated to making its cloud accessible to small businesses, and they offer an uptime SLA for droplets and storage. With DigitalOcean, you can host your favorite apps with just one click and enjoy a flexible cloud hosting experience.
- Overall score - 4.8
- Features – 4.8
- Support– 4.7
- Ease of Use – 4.9
- Pricing – 4.9
- Reliability – 4.6
Why is DigitalOcean superior to Vultr?
- DigitalOcean is easier for users looking to deploy, manage and scale their applications on the cloud. It offers Infrastructure (IaaS) and Platform (PaaS) services, giving developers and teams the power to create and manage their cloud-based applications quickly and easily.
- It is cheaper than Vultr with a lower monthly cost and better performance.
- DigitalOcean also offers larger packages and more OS options, including Windows Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016.
- DigitalOcean has more features, such as DDoS protection, downscaling, and preconfigured application installs.
When don’t you need to move to DigitalOcean hosting?
- You do not have to move to DigitalOcean hosting if you are already satisfied with the services you are receiving from your current host
- If your website has a large and complex workload that requires a lot of manual intervention, it may not be suitable for DigitalOcean hosting.
- If you need an on-premises server or a specific hardware configuration that is not offered by DigitalOcean
- DigitalOcean hosting may not be suitable if you are looking for a host with a wide range of applications, such as Windows and Linux, that are not available on DigitalOcean.
Features: While testing DigitalOcean, I realized it offered several unique features that made it stand out from other cloud providers. Its Droplets feature lets developers start their own private virtual machines (VMs) and change them to suit their needs.
Droplets are like Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud or Microsoft’s Azure instances, but they don’t work with Microsoft Windows. DigitalOcean also has Kubernetes clusters, object and block storage, networking tools, tools for developers, and tools for keeping an eye on everything.
Reliability: DigitalOcean is highly reliable, offering a 99.99% uptime guarantee for Droplets and block storage. It offers redundant 40G hypervisor connections to ensure 99.99% uptime and throughput.
DigitalOcean also provides Load Balancers to increase application availability and cloud firewalls to easily secure infrastructure. DigitalOcean offers reserved IPs and DNS management to help make networks that are more reliable and have fewer service outages.
User-friendly: The user interface of DigitalOcean is intuitive, making it easy for developers to launch and manage their own VMs. DigitalOcean has one-click apps that let developers make droplets from VM images that already have apps installed.
Its control panel lets developers change the size and shape of droplets based on changes in workload, make backups, and reroute network traffic between droplets.
Support: I tested some of its support systems, and the feedback was excellent. It provides multiple support options, including ticket-based support, community forums, and a knowledge base. Ticket-based support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and customers can make tickets right from their DigitalOcean accounts.
The DigitalOcean community forum is a place where people can ask questions and get answers from other users and DigitalOcean staff. The DigitalOcean knowledge base contains a wealth of information, including tutorials, articles, and FAQs, to help users get the most out of the cloud platform.
Pricing: DigitalOcean’s pricing model is designed to be simple. Droplets are billed hourly and include bandwidth, storage, and other services. Droplets can be customized according to users’ needs, allowing them to pay only for what they use.
DigitalOcean also lets users sign up for Droplets on a monthly or annual basis. This lets them save up to 40% on their cloud costs. DigitalOcean also offers block storage services with a pay-as-you-go pricing model, so users only pay for the amount of storage they need. To make this interesting, DigitalOcean offers discounts for long-term commitments and bulk discounts for larger deployments.
Pros & Cons
DigitalOcean offers several benefits that make it an attractive cloud platform for developers, startups, and tech-focused SMBs:
- It offers good value for money, easy integration, global scaling, and great file encryption methods
- DigitalOcean boasts of provisioning the droplets at a lightning speed of 55 seconds
- The cloud servers are built on powerful Hex core machines with large amounts of RAM and storage.
- DigitalOcean is known for its no-fuss user interface and remarkable performance.
- DigitalOcean is affordable with its pricing tool allowing potential clients to easily see their monthly costs for their proposed cloud services.
- DigitalOcean is best for experienced users and developers because it has so many features. It is not good for new users.
- DigitalOcean does not offer a free domain name with hosting, as some other consumer-facing hosts do.
I recommend Kamatera for your dedicated server needs. Their cheap solutions are some of the best I’ve ever come across, and I’m confident that you can find exactly what you are looking for on their platform. On Kamatera, they offer a wide range of operating systems, hosting options, daemons, add-ons, and hourly billing setups.
What I like about them is that they provide unlimited scalability, allowing you to upgrade any resource you need with a few clicks in the control panel. They have an excellent customer service team that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Overall, I’m sure that Kamatera has the best value for money, and I’d recommend them to anyone who wants to buy a cheap dedicated server.
- Overall score - 4.4
- Features – 4.2
- Support– 4.0
- Ease of Use – 4.8
- Pricing – 4.8
- Reliability – 4.0
Why is Kamatera better than Vultr?
Kamatera can beat Vultr in some aspects, including features, pricing, and reviews. Here are a few of them:
- Kamatera offers more virtual CPUs, RAM, and storage than Vultr, with up to 104 virtual CPUs, 512GB of RAM, and up to 40TB of storage.
- It also offers a managed cloud option that takes the hassles of managing the cloud servers away from the customers.
- Kamatera is one of the cheapest cloud hosting providers in terms of SSD storage, with a flat rate of around $0.05 per GB—almost half of what you pay with Vultr.
- Kamatera offers 24/7 customer support, an easy-to-use interface, and no contracts.
- It also has 18 data centers across the globe, whereas Vultr only has 14 data centers under its management.
When don’t you need to move to Kamatera hosting?
Despite the benefits of switching to Kamatera hosting, there are a few reasons you might not want to leave Vultr. For instance:
- You may want to stick with Vultr if you currently use a VPS platform there and want to keep it.
- You might not need to switch to Kamatera if you like the scalability options and user-friendly interface of Vultr.
- PayPal and cryptocurrencies are not accepted by Kamatera; only payments made with popular credit cards are accepted. Vultr, in contrast, supports more than 100 wallets for cryptocurrency payments. Therefore, Vultr may be your best option if you’re looking for a way to send money using cryptocurrency.
Features: Some of Kamatera’s features are file sharing, multi-cloud management, encryption, version control, data migration and synchronization, billing and cost management, CPU monitoring services, scheduled and continuous backups, and email and server monitoring.
Reliability: Kamatera offers customers reliability with its distributed data centers across the globe. This ensures that customer data is always stored on secure servers with backup options to ensure data integrity in case of any disaster situation
User-friendly: Its intuitive dashboard gives customers an easy way to keep track of their services and make changes swiftly when needed
Support: Kamatera gives customers detailed documentation and video tutorials so they can get started quickly and not be overwhelmed by the setup process. They provide customer support via live chat, email, or phone. 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Pricing: Monthly server fees apply to managed hosting services. The Managed Cloud Basic costs $50 a month per server, while the Managed Cloud Extended costs $120 monthly for each server.
Pros & Cons
- 99.95% uptime guarantee
- It operates 18 data centers around the world.
- Highly flexible cloud services range from $4 to $1000
- Exceptionally high-end hosting is available
- Dedicated server without having to buy physical computing equipment
- Full control of the hosting environment
- Kamatera provides a Low total cost of ownership (TCO).
- The daily backups aren’t free
- Serving clients on an enterprise level is the primary emphasis of Kamatera.
- There are no shared hosting options that are currently available.
- Another drawback is that you’ll have to run your server on your own.
Cloudways is a great choice for server speed because it offers managed cloud hosting on some of the best infrastructure providers in the world, like DigitalOcean, Google, and Amazon. It means that you get access to high-speed servers with powerful CPUs, RAM, and SSDs.
I like that it has a lot of cloud server options, so you can choose from different cloud providers and locations to make your website run as quickly as possible. It is made to work well with WordPress websites, so you can use its caching technology, HTTP/2 protocol, and dedicated resources to make pages load faster.
- Overall score - 4.5
- Features – 4.7
- Support– 4.2
- Ease of Use – 4.3
- Pricing – 4.5
- Reliability – 4.8
Why is Cloudways better than Vultr?
- Cloudways is best known for its managed cloud hosting services, emphasizing performance and simplicity.
- The Cloudways Platform allows users to spin up servers and deploy applications in minutes.
- Cloudways has several advantages over Vultr: auto-scaling, cost-efficiency, easy migration, free SSL certificates, and managed hosting.
- Cloudways offers a 3-day free trial for every user, which helps users test the platform to ensure it meets their needs.
When don’t you need to move to Cloudways hosting?
- You may not need to move to Cloudways hosting if you are satisfied with your current hosting provider’s uptime and speed performance. If you’re looking for more reliable and high-performance hosting, then Cloudways is a great option.
- If you are hosting a static website or if you don’t need too many features or performance, For instance, if your website is just a simple portfolio, blog, or basic informational page that doesn’t need complex features, then you may not need Cloudways hosting.
- Cloudways can be a bit more complicated to use than traditional hosting, so it may not be suitable for total beginners.
Features: Cloudways has a comprehensive set of features to ensure a top-tier hosting experience. Their Thunderstack technology helps manage loads to ensure maximum efficiency. Additionally, they offer a free cloud CDN, providing an extra layer of security. These features give users the confidence to run their sites smoothly and securely. That earned them a 4.7 out of 5-star rating from me.
Reliability: With regards to uptime and processing speed, Cloudways is almost flawless. Their servers are reliable and fast, which is why I rate them 4.8 for this. They also offer automatic backups of all websites hosted with them.
User-friendly: Cloudways has a lot of tools and features to help you customize your website, like easy-to-understand guides. I gave it a 4.3 rating, though, because some users may find the lack of a cPanel to be limiting. cPanel is very popular and easy to use, but Cloudways does have an intuitive interface.
Support: The Cloudways customer support team is available 24/7, so help is always on hand if you need it. They are well-trained and experienced in helping customers with their queries or problems. I rate them 4.2 out of 5 stars for this.
Pricing: Cloudways’ plans start at $10 per month and have different features depending on the plan you choose. They also offer a 3-day free trial and optional paid migration services for any PHP-based application starting at $25 per application
Pros & Cons
- Simplified pricing packages which are straightforward and hassle-free.
- Cloudways offers a platform for using multiple cloud hosts like DigitalOcean, Amazon, and Google without a contract.
- CloudwaysBot, the platform’s chatbot, can recommend a plan based on website count, traffic, and purpose
- A disadvantage of Cloudways is the absence of root access, which can make server-side customization and optimization more difficult and require extra paid add-ons.
- Cloudways does not provide any email hosting and SMTP servers, so if you need an email server, you will need to find a third-party provider.
- Cloudways does not support PayPal
- Lack of cPanel
I can say that Linode’s cloud hosting services are some of the most trusted in the industry. The company also offers a lot of tools for deploying and scaling applications and virtual machines. Linode wants to free users from having to manage servers so they can spend more time making and deploying software. Linode is known for its low flat rates in all of its data centers around the world, as well as for its easy-to-use Cloud Manager, powerful API, thorough documentation, and excellent service.
Overall score: 4.6
- Features – 4.8
- Support– 4.6
- Ease of Use – 4.5
- Pricing – 4.7
- Reliability – 4.6
Why is Linode better than Vultr?
- Linode has a better reputation in the market regarding stability, with a guaranteed uptime of 99.9%.
- Linode offers better networking configurations that help businesses improve performance and scalability.
- Linode offers flexible pricing plans starting at as low as $5/month for the lowest tier Linode Cloud VPS plan.
- Linode also provides customers with additional features such as two-factor authentication, SSH key management, and pay-as-you-go billing, making it a better choice than Vultr.
When don’t you need to move to Kamatera hosting?
- If you are looking for shared hosting, Linode might not be the best choice as it does not offer shared hosting plans.
- Linode also does not provide managed support services and technical assistance that some other cloud providers offer
Features: Linode is a very reliable hosting service with a wide range of features, such as dedicated hosting, multiple server locations, webmail, scalability, MySQL connections, high performance, cloud hosting, and IPv6 support. It also offers daily backup services, reliable networking configurations, and an affordable price.
Reliability: Linode is known for the fact that all of its hardware and network connections are guaranteed to be up 100% of the time. This ensures that customers get the best performance from their servers, with optimum uptime.
Easy to use: Linode Cloud Manager offers easy VM management, networking set up, and user account control via its user-friendly interface, well-documented UI, CLI, and API. It also has a graphical environment tool, earning a 4.5 rating.
Support: I rated Linode 4.6 for support, their 24/7 live technical support and various self-help resources such as the Linode CommSite, Guides and Tutorials library, Network Status page, and Quick Answers section make it easy to resolve any questions or issues.
Pricing: Linode offers budget-friendly plans, starting at $5/month with a free trial. Subscription-based plans range from $30 to $1205/month, including options for CPU, RAM, transfer, storage, block storage, object storage and NodeBalancers.
Pros & Cons
- Linode’s API allows for easy management and automation of servers and applications. It can be used to set up and deploy applications, control servers, etc.
- Linode is more affordable than many other cloud hosting providers, with a flat pricing model.
- Deploying and managing a virtual machine is easy and efficient, making it suitable for tasks such as setting up a development environment, testing software, and hosting websites.
- Limited services available
- Difficulty in integrating with other cloud providers and services
- Lack of some features in the new UI like bill list.
- Since you will have full control over the server, you will also have complete responsibility for it, which can be difficult for some users.
Webdock is a cloud hosting service that provides instant access to powerful servers. It allows developers to spin up lightweight, pre-configured servers in minutes and start coding immediately. The control panel is also easy for developers who don’t know much about technology to use. The platform boasts many features, including one-click server setup, auto-scaling, and free SSL certificates.
- Overall score - 4.4
- Features – 4.7
- Support– 4.2
- Ease of Use – 4.5
- Pricing – 4.3
- Reliability – 4.6
Why is Webdock better than Vultr?
- Webdock offers an easy-to-use control panel, making it easier for developers to spin up and manage servers.
- Webdock is more affordable than Vultr, with prices starting at $7 per month.
- Webdock also features a one-click server setup, auto-scaling, free SSL certificates, and a user-friendly control panel.
When don’t you need to move to Webdock hosting?
- You may not need to move to Webdock hosting if you want a managed or shared service. While Webdock offers managed servers, it primarily aims at developers and those needing full root access over their environment.
- If your website does not require a lot of customization and is relatively low-traffic, then Webdock may not be the best choice.
Features: Webdock lets users set up small servers quickly, so developers can start writing code right away. Their one-click server setup allows users to set up their cloud hosting environment quickly and easily.
Reliability: Webdock is one of the most reliable VPS providers on the market. Their data centers use energy that comes from renewable sources. This keeps your server running smoothly with little downtime. They also have a wide range of plans to suit any budget, so you can find the perfect hosting solution for you. Many reviews of Webdock.io talk about how reliable the company is and how good its customer service and technical support are.
User-friendly: Webdock has a user-friendly interface with intuitive navigation, modern design, and easy deployment of services or websites. It features a default admin sudo user for added security, UI tweaks and improvements, OPC server request optimizations, database write optimizations and more, making it easy to use.
Support: Webdock provides excellent support. Their customer service team is knowledgeable and quick to respond to any queries. They have a status page to stay updated on the status of their services. They also provide tutorials and FAQs to help customers with their hosting needs. Webdock is committed to giving its customers the best service possible and will work with them to do so.
Pricing: Webdock has a unique pricing structure where all profiles have a fixed monthly price, with refunds for advance payments and small cancellation fee. They offer affordable pricing for all services starting at $2.99 to $46.99 or more depending on the plan.
Pros & Cons
- Webdock offers various levels of DDoS protection and a free SSL certificate.
- It also includes Cloudflare caching for faster website delivery and allows for choice of operating system.
- Automatic installation of CMS is also possible.
- SSH access is available to encrypt data transfer and allow you to access your account securely when using a remote computer.
- Webdock does not offer shared hosting plans.
- There is no complete refund policy.
- It does not provide an email hosting service and does not offer a website builder.
- The free trial only lasts 24 hours.
Best Web Hosting Services: Final recommendations
When it comes to web hosting, you can choose from shared hosting, VPS or dedicated servers, managed services, cloud hosting platforms like DigitalOcean or Webdock.io, or even a custom solution.
Before making a decision, you should think about the pros and cons of each of these options:
- Shared hosting is the cheapest option, but it may not be flexible enough for larger projects.
- VPS and dedicated servers offer more control over their environment, but they require more technical knowledge.
- Managed services are best for users who need help setting up their server.
- Cloud platforms offer scalability and reliability at an affordable price point.
- Custom solutions allow the user experience to be completely customized.
If you’re looking for the best combination of scalability, reliability, and affordability, then DigitalOcean is a clear choice.
With its one-click server setup, flexible pricing plans, and powerful cloud platform, DigitalOcean makes it easy for developers to deploy and manage their applications quickly and easily. Plus, with its 99.99% uptime guarantee for Droplets and block storage solutions, as well as DDoS protection and free SSL certificates included in all plans, you can be confident that your website will always be available when customers require it the most.