A .store domain extension is a type of top-level domain (TLD) that has recently become available to the public. It provides businesses with an easily recognizable and memorable way to offer their services online. It also helps them generate organic traffic from a wide pool of internet users.
This article will help you understand what .store domains are, how much they cost, and where you can get them for your own website and sell them.
- “A .store domain extension is a generic top level domain (TLD) that was created to help businesses reach their desired customers online.”
- .store is the perfect domain for storefronts offering all kinds of products looking to make online sales
- A .store domain can be expensive to maintain annually, but most registrars offer a significant first-year discount
- Getting a .store domain requires a simple search and registration process
- Research and evaluate your business to decide whether a .store domain is right for you
What Is a .store Domain Extension?
A .store domain extension is a generic top level domain (TLD) that was created to help ecommerce businesses reach their desired customers online. It is one of the 1,500 new domain extensions available on the internet today.
The .store domain name has joined the ranks of the most popular domain extensions since its launch in 2016. It can provide you with a unique identity for your e-commerce business or website.
What Is .store Domain Used for?
A .store domain is used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Online travel sites, like the Emirates Official Store
- Specialty online stores, like HEX SHOP
- Influencer merchandise storefronts, like Papa Jake Shop and Mark Rober Shop
- Small startups, like Craftee Shop
- Film merchandise online stores, like the Ghibli Store
- Homegoods storefronts, like C&F Home
- Local small businesses, like Tires Home or Leaf Relief
- Gaming help/hacks, like ZSoftware or RipperStore
- Merchandise storefronts for bands and musicians, like The Hellacopters
All in all, .store domain name servers are a natural choice and a great choice for e-commerce sites. If you have a brand of products or a service that you want to sell through online sales, a .store domain is waiting for you, complete with reliable hosting and privacy protection.
Why Do People Choose to Get a .store Domain?
There are many reasons why a business might choose to purchase a .store domain for their online store. A .store web address:
- Makes businesses stand out from the competition, especially those in the same industry
- Is easier to remember than a traditional web address
- Gives customers an instant idea of what type of services you offer
- Provides a business with more credibility through small business associations
- Gives the impression that your products are high-quality and/or handmade
All in all, the .store TLD is great for businesses looking for a small business feel in an online space. They want to be thought of as unique and dependable.
Who Owns a .store Domain?
Radix, a leading domain technology company founded by Bhavin Turakhia, owns and operates the .store TLD. The company was created to provide businesses with powerful and reliable digital solutions.
These solutions help them reach their desired customers online. Radix offers .store domains in various categories such as .tech, .online, and now also .store.
Pros & Cons of the .store Domain Extension
.store Domain Pros
- It is a memorable domain extension that is easy for a customer to recognize and remember
- Not as saturated as .com domains, so it is easier to find one that matches your business and avoid legal trouble with an established brand
- Can help you stand out in the online market by creating a unique identity for your brand or website
.store Domain Cons
- Can be more expensive than other domain extensions – they are not free
- May not be supported by all web hosting providers or registrars
.store Domain Price: How Much Does a .store Domain Cost?
The cost of a .store domain name address depends on the registrar or web hosting provider you choose. The price varies greatly, starting anywhere between $1 and $80. But generally, it is less than $10 per year, especially for your first year.
GoDaddy, for example, typically sells their .store domain names for $79.99 per year. But, they have a grace period offer where you pay $0.99 for your first year. A .store domain expires annually, so you will need to budget for this expense once a year.
Can You Get a .store Domain for Free?
Unfortunately, no. You cannot get a .store domain name for free. Most domain registrars and web hosting providers do not offer a free option because they operate as a storefront and require money to stay afloat.
However, as previously mentioned, some companies may offer promotional discounts or special offers on .store domains. So it is always worth keeping an eye out for any deals that could help lower the price of your domain registration.
How to Get a .store Domain
Once you have decided to get a .store top-level domain name address, the process of acquiring one is relatively simple. There are two primary steps: doing a domain search and registering the store site or the new store domain name itself.
.store Domain Search
They have a search bar just like any site where you will plug in a potential domain name URL. They will show you results for your desired domain name URL, including how much it will cost, as well as similar domain names.
It’s important to be prepared that they may not have your exact company name as an option. If you find a desired .store domain name through this search, then you can register it through a registrar. We recommend using GoDaddy. This is because they show you results and sell you the new domain name in one convenient, secure search.
Registering a .store Domain with GoDaddy
When registering your .store domain, there are usually two steps that need to be completed: payment and setup.
With GoDaddy, you can simply go straight from domain name search to purchase and registration. You will need to add the name from the search results to your cart and proceed to checkout.
For example, here’s what the GoDaddy domain search would look like if you searched for the domain “storedomain.store”:
As you can see, GoDaddy shows you your domain as the first result. It also shows you similar domains that are available, along with their cost. By clicking the cart icon, you can add one of the domains to your cart and purchase your domain right from their site. Or, as they suggest in blue, you can save money by purchasing multiple domains at the same time with their “domain bundles”.
After you have paid for and registered the domain, GoDaddy will ask you to set up your .store domain by adding DNS records. This is a simple process that requires only a few minutes of your time. If you get stuck, there is a support team always there to help you.
Final Word: Is .store Domain Right for Your Online Store?
The .store domain can be an effective way to differentiate your e-commerce store or website from the competition. It will also help you boost your visibility and traffic online. However, it’s important to consider whether this type of domain name extension or branding is right for you before registering one.
Make sure that it has relevance to your business. It should help you reach potential customers looking for products or services related to yours.
Next Steps: What Now?
- Research different types of .store websites to see if they match the vibe you are trying to create for your site, like Ghibli Store or Mark Rober Shop
- Search for your desired domain name on the Namecheap or GoDaddy websites to see if it is available and affordable
- If not, see if any of their recommendations for similar names strike your fancy
- Add your desired name to your cart and follow the steps to register your domain
- Create/update your .store website with the best website builders